Re: Indirect Rate survey Janet M Hahn 13 Mar 1996 07:53 EST

We are a state, predominately undergraduate institution with a
negotiated indirect cost rate of 39% of salaries, wages, and
fringe benefits.

> We are about to get a new IDC rate and I would like to have
information on
> the rates at other predominantly undergraduate, liberal arts
institutions
> (we're BA 1 on the Carnegie scale).   Our current rate is 73%
of S&W (which
> includes fringe).  We'll be going to separate IDC and fringe
rates for the
> first time (still S&W base) -- rate still hasn't been
finalized.

> A second question (for ANY institution):  Does you institution
contribute
> into the retirement plan on base salary only or does it make
contributions
> for incremental salary (such as summer salary) too?

Fringe benefits are calculated only on the base pay (9 months
salary for teaching faculty -- though the actual payment of it
occurs over 12 months).  Social Security is the only piece
attached to summer and any overload wages.   The distinction is
salaries versus wages.>

Good luck.  Janet M. Hahn
               Director, Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
               Radford University
               Radford, VA  24142-6926
               540-831-5479
               xxxxxx@runet.edu
> It would probably be more useful if you reply directly to me.
I'll
> summarize and send the information to anyone who's interested.
The PUI
> focus of this survey will not be of interest to many list
readers.