FDP Phase III Samuela Evans 13 Mar 1996 13:02 EST

Speaking as a member of an institution that has been a long-term member of
the FDP, I would say that, while the "costs" of FDP membership are
substantial (in terms of meetings to attend, surveys to complete, and the
burden of running two systems for FDP and non-FDP awards), the benefits have
outweighed these costs.  We received administrative relief (the expanded
authorities) earlier than non-FDP schools, and had the invaluable
opportunity to work closely with policy-level officials at the major federal
agencies.

I think one of the things I am most looking forward to under Phase III is
hearing the fresh ideas that new FDP member institutions will bring to the
table.  The FDP is a chance to test out things--perhaps even radical
concepts--that could really benefit PIs and their scientific work.

--Bill Sellers, Univ. of California, Office of the President