Re: Student workers with their own funding Richard Moore 22 Feb 1996 09:11 EST

Franci:

We are a state assisted institution so our insurance situation may be
different, but here "volunteers" are considered employees as far as
insurance coverages go.  This is true year around. We operate a
number of programs for senior citizens tht utilize volunteers and as
long as they are somehow registered or identified by the University
as volunteer participants then they are included.

If your insurance requires that students must be registered, perhaps
you (or your science departments) can devise a research
experience course that runs any time of the year.  It could even be a
zero credit course to avoid making the students' pay tuition, if
this can't be waived.

 Richard H. Moore
 Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research
 and Professor of Biology

Coastal Carolina University                E-MAIL: xxxxxx@coastal.edu
P.O. Box 1954                              VOICE: (803) 349-2050
Conway SC 29526                            FAX: (803) 349-2990