Re: Academic vs. Administrative Charlie Tardivo 30 Jan 1996 10:17 EST

Hi Glenda

below is a response I made last September to a similar question.  I hope it
helps.  If you would like more information, please call
me.

Charlie

From:         Charlie Tardivo <xxxxxx@WI.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Grant Accounting

Having worked in both environments at different institutions, I feel that
the Grants Accounting office works best, is more productive and more
service oriented when the pre and post award functions report to the same
person.

There is the tendency for a grant accounting operation, when under the
direction of a Controller at a university, to take on a green eye-shade
approach to many of their decisions.  They are reporting to another master
that sets up procedures for the accounting and budgeting operations but may
be in conflict with research operations.. If a university has a budgeting
department like the one at the university that I had been formally
employed, they would want 5 expense object codes to describe the different
methods of mailing an envelope.(there is local mail, overnight priority,
overnight standard, 2 day delivery, etc. etc. etc.)  My decision, of
course, was not to use any of the 5 object codes and then have it charged
to the supply expense line of the grant. This is the KISS method.  I
realize that not all universities may operate in this manner.   However,
what I have experienced and what I have observed at other institutions
clearly indicate that there is a more consistent application and
interpretation of research policies and regulations which translates into a
 more creative approach toward finding solutions when the pre-award,
post-award and research accounting areas report to a Director of Research
Administration.  This translates into better service to the faculty and
that is one of our primary functions.

Charlie Tardivo
Director of Grant Administration and Accounting Operations
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical
Research
From: Research Administration Discussion Group on Mon, Jan 29, 1996 8:14 PM
Subject: Academic vs. Administrative
To: Charlie Tardivo

My institution is looking into placing the Research office and the
Accounting office under the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services.
Presently the Office of Research Services that reviews and mails proposals,
negotiates contracts, processes awards, certifications, etc. takes
direction from the Academic Vice Chancellor.  Our Grants Accounting office
that sets up new accounts, invoices, general accounting of grant funds,
etc. answers to the Administrative Vice Chancellor.

It is my belief that the two offices should remain separated.  I feel that
if the Research Office were to be placed under the Administrative side of
things that the emphasis would be more tuned to "bringing in the bucks"
rather than concentrating on the research.  How do you feel about this?

How is your institution set up?  Are the two offices together?  If they are
separate, do they both answer to the same Vice Chancellor/Dean?  If they
are separated, why?

Any light you can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Glenda A. Luecke, Coordinator    Voice:  (573)341-4135
Office of Research Services      Fax:    [573]341-4126
University of Missouri-Rolla     EMail:  xxxxxx@umr.edu
101 ME Annex
Rolla, MO  65409-1330
Charlie Tardivo
Director of Grant Administration and Accounting Operations
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
Cambridge  MA  02142
phone: (617) 258-5107
fax:  (617) 258-6294
e-mail: xxxxxx@wi.mit.edu