Re: Academic vs. Administrative James R. Brett 29 Jan 1996 20:09 EST

The office that works with the faculty to develop grant proposals, that
works on the development of university policy governing faculty activities
associated with research, demonstration, training, etc. SHOULD BE in the
Academic division.  Offices of research / sponsored programs / etc. are ALL
specialized faculty development offices, some with accountancy as a
sideline.  Faculty will complain endlessly about "the bottom line" if you
account for the impending changes in terms of "administrative efficiencies"
or "accounting" itself.  If it happens anyway (and sometimes these things
have an inevitability about them that is remarkable), you CAN recover, but
you will have lost valuable standing with the faculty.  Good luck.

At 10:19 AM 1/29/96 -0600, you wrote:
>My institution is looking into placing the Research office and the
>Accounting office under the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services.
>Presently the Office of Research Services that reviews and mails proposals,
>negotiates contracts, processes awards, certifications, etc. takes
>direction from the Academic Vice Chancellor.  Our Grants Accounting office
>that sets up new accounts, invoices, general accounting of grant funds,
>etc. answers to the Administrative Vice Chancellor.
>
>It is my belief that the two offices should remain separated.  I feel that
>if the Research Office were to be placed under the Administrative side of
>things that the emphasis would be more tuned to "bringing in the bucks"
>rather than concentrating on the research.  How do you feel about this?
>
>How is your institution set up?  Are the two offices together?  If they are
>separate, do they both answer to the same Vice Chancellor/Dean?  If they
>are separated, why?
>
>Any light you can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

>Glenda A. Luecke, Coordinator    Voice:  (573)341-4135
>Office of Research Services      Fax:    [573]341-4126
>University of Missouri-Rolla     EMail:  xxxxxx@umr.edu
>101 ME Annex
>Rolla, MO  65409-1330

James R. Brett, Ph.D                                            310-985-5314
Director, Office of University Research                         310-985-8665 fax
California State University, Long Beach                         xxxxxx@csulb.e
du