Re: faculty research profile software Charles E. Graham, Ph.D. 10 Jan 1996 10:29 EST

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996 12:14:44 EST, Paul Benson wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could suggest some user friendly software to use in
>putting faculty/staff research profiles into a database for easy access.
>Any ideas are appreciated.
>
>Paul Benson
>University of Massachusetts, Boston

*******> InfoEd has a preaward management system (SPAS) which includes a
faculty database. You can code interests using a standard thesaurus, which
makes searches dependable. The codes can also be used to generate matches
against InfoEd's SPIN funding opportunity database, in case you decide to
go in that direction. There are also fields that can be used for
publications, honors, and just about anything else of interest. InfoEd has
just announced a system, which as I understand it, interacts with the SPAS
database, to allow faculty to update their info using WEB forms, and to
make the database publicly available on the Web (if you wish); this system
is called GENIUS.

You can contact InfoEd at xxxxxx@infoed.org. I have not worked with any
other software, so I can't make any comparisons. I think InfoEd will send
you a demo disk; their support is excellent.

The software is available in DOS, WIN and MAC formats. I have used the DOS
version, which is easy, and am told the WIN and MAC versions are even
better.

Hope this helps. Charlie.

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD.                  xxxxxx@UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU *
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research               504-388-8692 *
 * 117D David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University     FAX 388-6792 *
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70810                                             *
 * http://www.osr.lsu.edu/     gopher: gopher.osr.lsu.edu            *