Re: Developing sponsored research policies Nancy Peterson 07 Dec 1995 08:32 EST

CHECK OUT THE WINONA STATE UNIVERSITY GRANTS OFFICE HOME PAGE.
THE URL IS http://www.winona.msus.edu/Grants/home.htm
You'll find WSU grants regs, human subjects and animal subjects policies,
and Conflict of Interest regs (as well as a bunch of other stuff).
If you have any questions, e-mail to me via the Grants pages or call me at
507/457-5519.

>I am a new member of the research administration discussion group and a
>new research administration (Vice Provost for Sponsored Projects).  One
>of my tasks is to begin to put in place a whole range of policies concerning
>sponsored projects.  I am writing to ask group members to send me policies
>they have in place at their institutions or information on how to access
>these policies via a Home Page).  The issues that need to get resolved
>at my university are many, but include:
>        PI eligibility/responsibilities
>        Indirect cost (we are a "short form" institution currently)
>        Cost sharing
>        Faculty/staff compensation on sponsored projects
>        Submission/review of proposals
>        Ownership/retention of data
>        Gift verus sponsored project (this is a biggie in that we have a
>           large, aggressive Development Office that doesn't see the need
>           for these "bureaucratic" distinctions)
>        Allowability of expenditures on sponsored projects accounts
>        Cost transfers involving sponsored projects accounts
>        Handling of cash deficits related to sponsored project accounts
>        Pre-establishment/loan accounts (the loaning of funds to PIs
>            prior to the actual arrival of funds on an approved project)
>As you see, I have a lot of issues to deal with.  I am planning to use a
>faculty/staff research council to help develop policy.  I would be interested
>in experiences list members have had with this mechanism, both good and bad.
>
>The mailing address is: Paul Benson, Vice Provost for Sponsored Projects &
>Public Service, Office of Graduate Studies, University of Massachusetts,
>100 Morrissey Blvd., Boston MA 02125.  Phone: (617)287-5715.  Please don't
>feel timid sending me anything you have.  I can use all the help I can
>get.  Thanks.

Live long and prosper.   >:-I

Nancy Kay Peterson
Director of Grants