PROMOTING RESEARCH Jean Humphries 05 Dec 1995 08:16 EST

>Date:         Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:55:03 -0600
>Sender: Research Administration Discussion Group
>              <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
>From: jan bower <xxxxxx@D.UMN.EDU>
>Subject:      PROMOTING RESEARCH
>To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
>
>At UMD we are trying to work with our University Relations Office to
>improve publicity for research grants and awards.  I would appreciate
>receiving asap your successful ideas for ways in which this has been done
>at your institutions.  My meeting with University Relations is on
>Wednesday morning at 8 a.m. so I need your promotional and communication
>ideas before that time.
>
>Thanks much.
>
>Jan Bower
>Grants Development Administration
>University of Minnesota Duluth
>417 Darland Administration Building
>Duluth, MN 55812-2496
>Voice:  218-726-8837
>Fax:    218-726-6254
>Email:  xxxxxx@d.umn.edu

====================================
Jan,
 We're a pre-award office and wanted to increase awareness among the
researchers about the services our office provides; i.e. locate funding
ops, assemble and process proposals.

 One gimick we used was to buy shredded dollars from the Federal
Reserve Bank, repackage them in the small snack-size ziplock bags with a
note reading, "Funding Enclosed!  Some assembly required.  Instructions
available at TEES Research Services, 006 WERC - Mail Stop 3406."  These
were distributed to all eligible researchers.  Response was terrific!

 FYI - Shredded money isn't expensive - cost us about $50 to get
enough for 600 researchers.  It's available from the Bureau of Engraving &
Printing, 14th & C Streets SW, Washington, DC 20223; Attn:  Geneva Massey
(202) 874-2356.  Restriction - must order minimum of 100 bags at 50 cents
per bag; make check payable to the Bureau of E&G.  Must have a Fed Ex
account, NOT Airborne.
 I must admit that I originally saw this idea in the Chronicle of
Higher Ed about 15 years ago, and finally used it last year.

 Good luck! Jean H.

Jean N. Humphries
Director, Research Services
Texas Engineering Experiment Station
Texas A&M University System

006 Wisenbaker Engineering Research Center - MS 3406
College Station TX 77843-3406

Phone:    (409) 845-1264
Fax:      (409) 845-9643
Email:    xxxxxx@tamu.edu