NEH ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING AND NEW DEADLINES (fwd) Andrew J. Grant 07 Nov 1995 09:00 EST

FYI - I'm wondering how many people on the list received this first hand.

Andrew

Andrew J. Grant                    The Jewish Theological Seminary
Director of Foundation              of America
 and Corporate Relations           3080 Broadway
xxxxxx@JTSA.EDU                   New York, NY 10027
(212) 678-8934                     FAX: (212) 678-8941

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 14:53:31 +0000 (GMT)
From: Dr P.J. Phemister <xxxxxx@liverpool.ac.uk>
To: Members of the list <xxxxxx@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: NEH ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING AND NEW DEADLINES (fwd)

FORWARDED MESSAGE

> Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:34:00 EST
> Sender: 18th Century Interdisciplinary Discussion
> From: Kevin Berland <BCJ%xxxxxx@sage.cc.rl.ac.ukZzZ>
>
>   - - The original note follows - -
>
> Date: Fri, 03 Nov 95 10:13:57 EST
> From: xxxxxx@neh.fed.us
> Subject: NEH ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING AND NEW DEADLINES

 November 1995

 Major Restructuring
 at the
 National Endowment for the Humanities

 Effective December 4, 1995, the National Endowment for the Humanities
 (NEH) will be redesigned to create a leaner, more focused, and flexible
 agency in order to adjust to a 1996 budget reduction of almost forty
percent.

 With the reconfiguration, NEH will give greater support to the activities
 that best meet its guiding tenets:  Activities

 --that are best done at the national level;
 --that have long-term impact;
 --that have few other sources of support;
 --that strengthen the institutional base of the humanities; and
 --that reach broad sectors of the American public.

 The Endowment will focus on the following areas:

 *    Supporting original scholarship
 *    Preserving the American cultural heritage
 *    Providing learning opportunities for the nation's teachers
 *    Engaging the American public in the humanities.

 Structurally, the NEH will consist of three divisions containing a total
 of seven programs, and a separate office to administer challenge grants.
 Following are brief descriptions of the programs (by division) with
 contact information.  Application deadline dates through September 1996
 are contained in the Summary of NEH Programs.

 Division of Preservation and Access

 One program with one set of guidelines and one funding cycle,
 encompassing the following:

 *    Preservation and access projects (which will include support for
 education and training, regional field service programs, and
 research and demonstration projects), the stabilization and
 documentation of material culture collections, and the U.S.
 newspaper program.

 Phone:  202/606-8570
 Email:  xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Division of Public Programs and Enterprise

 Two programs with one set of guidelines and two funding cycles
 encompassing:

 *    Public Programs:  planning and implementation of public humanities
 activities, including museum exhibitions, library exhibitions and
 programs, and radio and television programs.

 *    Enterprise:  special initiatives, partnerships with other agencies
 and the private sector, trans-divisional projects, and other
 activities.

 Phone:  202/606-8267
 Email:  xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Division of Research and Education

 Four programs, each with its corresponding set of guidelines and funding
 cycles, encompassing the following:

 *    Seminars and Institutes:  summer seminars and institutes for higher
 education faculty and school teachers.

 *    Education Development and Demonstration:  materials and model
 curricula with related professional development and trial
 implementation; e.g., teaching with technology.

 *    Fellowships and Stipends:  fellowships for university teachers,
 colleges teachers, and independent scholars; summer stipends; and
 HBCU faculty graduate study.

 *    Research:  editions, translations, basic research, archaeology,
 humanities study of science and technology, centers, international
 programs, and conferences.

 Phone:  202/606-8373
 Email:  xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 The NEH Office of Challenge Grants will continue to function in its
 present form, offering support for educational, scholarly, preservation,
 and public programs in the humanities.  Grantees will be required to
 raise three or four dollars for every dollar they receive from NEH.

 Phone:  202/606-8309
 Email:  xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Public and educational programming will also continue under the energetic
 direction of the fifty-six state humanities councils.  For information,
 contact the NEH Federal-State Partnership office.

 Phone:  202/606-8254
 Email:  xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Summary of NEH Programs

 Division of Preservation and Access          Deadline

 * Preservation and Access Projects;          July 1, 1996
 Stabilization of Material Culture
 Collections; U.S. Newspaper Program

 Contact:  202/606-8570;
 xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Division of Public Programs and Enterprise

 * Museums/Historical Orgns; Libraries/       January 12, 1996
 Archives; Media (Radio/Television)

 * Enterprise                                 January 12, 1996
 Includes the National Conversation
 on American Pluralism and Identity
 Special Competition                        November 24, 1995

 Contact:  202/606-8267;
 xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Division of Research and Education

 * Seminars and Institutes:

 National Summer Institutes
 --for Higher Education Faculty           February 1, 1996
 --for School Teachers                    February 1, 1996

 Summer Seminars for College Teachers
 --Participants (summer of 1996)          March 1, 1996
 --Directors (summer of 1997)             March 1, 1996

 Summer Seminars for School Teachers
 --Participants (summer of 1996)          March 1, 1996
 --Directors (summer of 1997)             March 1, 1996

 * Education Development and Demonstration:

 Humanities Focus Grants
 --in Higher Education                    January 15, 1996
 September 15, 1996

 --in Elementary/Secondary Education      January 15, 1996
 Sept. 15, 1996

 Technology Initiative                    To Be Announced

 * Fellowships and Stipends:

 Fellowships
 --for University Teachers                May 1, 1996
 --for College Teachers and
 Independent Scholars                 May 1, 1996

 Summer Stipends                          October 1, 1996

 Faculty Graduate Study for HBCUs         March 15, 1996

 * Research:

 Collaborative Research                   September 1, 1996
 Centers for Advanced Study and
 International Research                 October 1, 1996

 Contact: 202/606-8373; xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 Office of Challenge Grants

 * Challenge Grants Program                    May 1, 1996

 Contact:  202/606-8309; xxxxxx@neh.fed.us

 * * *

 A new edition of the NEH Overview of Endowment Programs, a
 brochure that describes Endowment programs, gives eligibility
 requirements, and lists the state humanities council offices,
 will be available in early 1996.  For copies of the new Overview
 or for more information about the National Endowment for the
 Humanities, contact

 NEH Public Information Office
 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Rm. 402
 Washington, D.C.  20506