Re: Training Grants - Allowable Costs Nancy Geiger 24 Oct 1995 18:19 EST

Bob,
We have been able to buy both an office FAX machine and a computer on one
of our NIH Training Grants.  Justification was given in both cases that
the equipment would be used specifically in furtherance of the grant.  We
received specific approval for both items from the NCI grants manager.
Perhaps the fact that our training grant PI has her labs off campus
contributed to the reasonableness of these requests.  We also obtained
specific NCI approval to charge 10% of a secretary's salary & fringe
benefits to this training grant.  The costs came out of the "Training
Related Costs" line item.  Approval was very easy to get.

Nancy F. Geiger, Administrator                  xxxxxx@u.washington.edu
Department of Microbiology                      Voice: (206) 685-0870
University of Washington  Box 357242            FAX:   (206) 543-8297
Seattle, WA 98195-7242