Re: Position Announcement Sandra Mann 18 Oct 1995 10:22 EST

>DIRECTOR
>DIVISION OF SPONSORED RESEARCH
>
>The University of Central Florida invites applications and nominations for the
>position of Director, Division of Sponsored Research.  The University is a
>metropolitan research university in the rapidly growing area of Central
>Florida, with more than 26,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 3,000
>faculty and staff.  Faculty at the College of Arts and Sciences, Business
>Administration, Education, Engineering and Health and Public Affairs as well as
>the Institute for Simulation and Training, Center for Research and Education in
>Optics and Lasers, and the Florida Solar Energy Center were awarded $35 million
>in grants and contracts during FY 1995.
>
>The Division of Sponsored Research is responsible for administration of a broad
>array of grants and contracts with sponsors in both the public and private
>sector.  The Division requires a dynamic individual who will be responsible for
>the overall management of the unit, initiating new operational strategies for
>developing and coordinating all aspects of successful sponsored program
>funding.  The director will also assist in administration of technology
>transfer and the University's research corporation.  The Division of Sponsored
>Research works with and reports to the Vice President for Research and Graduate
>Studies.
>
>Candidates should have:  a Master's degree or equivalent (Ph.D. preferred); a
>minimum of five years' experience in sponsored program administration in a
>university environment;  demonstrated experience in promoting and managing the
>commercial development of intellectual property;  a successful record of
>securing research funding from federal, state, and private sources;  a detailed
>knowledge of federal and state regulations and compliance requirements related
>to university research; interpersonal and communications skills needed to
>effectively interact with faculty, staff, and university administrators;
>experience in operating a not-for-profit research corporation affiliated with a
>university.  Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
>
>To apply, send a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names of at
>least three references to: DSR Director Search Committee, Office of Graduate
>Studies and Research, University of Central Florida, 4000 Central Florida
>Boulevard (ADM 243), Orlando, FL 32816-0150.  Review of applications will begin
>October 15, 1995.
>

>The University of Central Florida is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action
>Employer.  As an agency of the State of Florida, all application materials and
>selection procedures are available for public review.
>>**************************************************************************
>                        John T. Jurewicz, Dean
>                    Graduate Studies and Research
>                     Florida Atlantic University
> [...]

How are you?  How is everything going?  It was nice of you to send me this
announcement.  What's going on at UCF?  It is a very nice school and Diane
Jacobs seems to have a good administrative, business and sponsored research
head on her shoulders.

If were still at FAU I would applied, but I am here too short a period of
time to consider leaving.  I believe Dr. Walsh and the University of Florida
staff have invested time, effort and energy in helping me to settle in and
get acclaimated here.  So, I am committed to doing the best job I can for
some time at UF.

How are the DSR staff?  How is Dr. Goldberger settling in?  Did you receive
the conflict of interest policy I sent?  It took some time as it was in our
attorney's office for review and it is still in draft form although we are
following the policy.

Have to go.  Great to hear from you.

See you in November at the Director's meeting.

Sandy
Sandra Mann, MPA  xxxxxx@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
Assistant Director, University Research
University of Florida