Re: Allocating Funds for Repair & Maintenance of Research Equipment/Space Tom Sweeney 12 Sep 1995 17:28 EST

Jim, we just got an allotment this year for the first time for
infrastructure upgrading wrt/ equipment.  It is in the 200k range but will
ramp up each year for the next several years at least to 5 times that
amount.  (Small potatoes at a place the size of OSU but a respectable
amount here compared to our needs.)  I would be interested in what you are
hearing on this question since we are just starting to talk about how we
are going to suballocate/spend/disburse etc to ensure that we (1) do some
good and (2) do it it such a way that we can in fact get the additional
funds during the next budget cycle.

Tom

>We are interested in the policies of other institutions regarding repair and
>maintenance of research equipment and labs.
>
>* How many institutions allocate funds specifically as part of their budget
>  process (either from indirect costs or other sources) for the repair and or
>  maintenance of research equipment and/or labs?
>
>* Are these funds made available at the department budget level, college level,
>  or through a central Office of Research (or equivalent)?
>
>* How does a PI access or request support from these funds (if available)?
>
>Thank you for any responses you are willing to share.
>
>James F. Ball
>Associate Director
>The Ohio State University Research Foundation
>xxxxxx@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
>(614) 292-6278 phone

Thomas L. Sweeney                               Phone:    219-631-4670
Off. of Research-Univ. of Notre Dame   FAX:       219-631-6630
312 Main Building                                 e-mail:  xxxxxx@nd.edu
Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-5602