Re: Hiring Process for Grant-Funded Employees Richard Moore 06 Sep 1995 09:49 EST

>We employ both "full-time" and "temporary" personnel on grants.  All sign a
>"no funds, no job" statement.  We are trying to figure out the least
>cumbersome way to do the appointment process.  I would like to know what
>kinds of approval signatures are required at your institution (P.I.,
>department chair, dean, VP, Provost, President, budget office, grants&
>contracts, sponsored programs, etc.). --and in what order they are to be
>obtained--for the hiring of grant personnel.  Thanks in advance for the
>input!

Barbara,
 We have just started using a new form which seems to be working.
Its one of the few examples I know of in whcih a form designed by
multiple departments really works.  Thats cause we used saveral
"draft" forms through the summer til we found what everyone needed
and the sequence that made the most sense.  The same form is used for
all hires, salary change requests etc.

Whoever initiates the action, say the PI on a grant (OK we all know
its really the dept. secy) , fills out the top part of the form -
name of person, ssn, rate of pay, Effective dates etc.  All the info
Human Resouces and Payroll will be needing.  The middle part of the
form contains the "usual" boxes into which the appropriate account
numbers (if known) are entered. This is supposed to be filled out by
the initiator, but this is the one part that is usually wrong.
Below this is a sign off area for the Grants Office (we check acct
numbers and whether its included in the budget - not whether there is
an available balance).

From there the form goes various places depending on the type of
hire.  Student hires go one place, faculty another and staff to a
third place.  Finally the form goes to payroll.

For "Temporary Grant Employees" a category in the SC state personnel
system there is another form which is used to actually create the
position.  This must be done before the position can be filled.

Richard H. Moore
Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research

Coastal Carolina University                E-MAIL: xxxxxx@coastal.edu
P.O. Box 1954                              VOICE: (803) 349-2050
Conway SC 29526                            FAX: (803) 349-2990