Study abroad for students.. Michele Sanchez 05 Sep 1995 09:25 EST

Nancy Hutchinson asked:

>Does anyone out there know of agencies (federal, state, foundation) other
>than USIA that provide funding for students (either grad or undergrad,
>but perferably undergrad) to travel abroad to a host institution in a
>foreign country? I remember seeing programs to fund students for different
>activities/research but cannot remember the sources of funding for such
>endeavors, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I believe the Institute for International Education (IIE), which has offices in
Washington,D.C. and New York City, is in charge of administering undergraduate
scholarships for study abroad, funded by the National Security Education
Program of the federal government.  (The address/phone for this program is:

 IIE/Washington,D.C.
 1400 K Street, N.W.
 Washington, D.C.  20005
 (202)962-8835

IIE also administers grants for graduate study abroad.  Contact IIE/New York,
U.S. Student Programs Division, (212)883-8200, for more information.

A few other grant programs that fund international study or research (although
they seem to target graduate or dissertation work) include:

U.S. Department of Education
Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
 CONTACT:  Karla VerBryck Block
 Program Officer
 U.S. Department of Education
 Center on International Education             Phone: 202/732-6073
 400 Maryland Ave., SW

 Provides six to 12 month fellowships for Ph.D. students in modern foreign
 languages or related area studies to conduct dissertation research abroad
 in order to gain expertise in world areas not widely included in American
 curricula. Awards are made to institutions on behalf of Ph.D. candidates in
 fields related to non-Western regions of the world who plan to teach at
 U.S. institutions.

Academy for Educational Development
National Security Education Program: Fellowships
 CONTACT:  Lauren Manly
 Coordinator, National Security Education Program
 Academy for Educational Development
 1255 23rd Street, NW                          Phone: 202/884-8700
 Washington, DC 20050-7103

 Two types of graduate fellowships will be administered by AED for the
 National Security Education Program. Grants will be made to doctoral
 candidates for study of critical foreign languages, disciplines, or areas
 that will strengthen U.S. capacity in international education & those in
 scientific disciplines seeking to internationalize their educational
 experience. For academic year 1995-96, there is approximately $2.5 million
 available. Institutions must submit applications for their selected
 nominees by December 15.

Canadian Embassy
Canadian Studies Graduate Student Fellowship Program
 CONTACT:  Norman T. London
 Academic Relations Officer
 Canadian Embassy
 Academic Relations                            Phone: 202/682-1740
 501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
 Washington, DC  20001

 Grants provide up to $850/month for up to nine months for graduate students
 to conduct part of their doctoral research in Canada. Eligible fields are
 the social sciences, business, the environment, journalism, humanities,
 law, & fine arts with a relevance to Canada.

East-West Center
Joint-Doctoral Research Fellowships
 CONTACT:  June Hirano
 Award Services Officer
 East-West Center
 1777 East-West Road                           Phone: 808/944-7735
 Room 2066
 Honolulu, HI 96848

 Provides two-year stipend for disseration study on Asia & the Pacific at
 the Center & in the field. Funds airfare to & from Honolulu. Particular
 areas of interest include environmental management, domestic & comparative
 political & economic development, demographic studies, energy & mineral
 use, impact of telecommunications, ethnic studies, & curricula development
 from kindergarten through higher education.

P.S. The previous items were excerpted from GrantSearch, offered as part of a
membership with the American Association of State Colleges and
Universities (AASCU), Office of Federal Programs.  Other AASCU
institutions may be interested in this great resource!

Michele Sanchez                                 xxxxxx@grove.iup.edu
113 Stright Hall
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Indiana, PA  15705-1087