Re: SRA larry wiley 15 Aug 1995 23:29 EST

Donald Wood said,

>As an "almost" founding member of SRA, I encourage you to join and
>participate.
>
>Society of Research Administrators
>1200  19th St., NW
>Suite 300
>Washnigton, DC 20036-2412
>
>Phone:  202-857-1141                     FAX:  202-223-4579
>
>Annual Meeting:  Hyatt Regency          Chicago         October 7 - 11
>
>I think you will find membership very worthwhile!

I am a founding member of SRA, but no longer a member as I left research
administration in 1974 to do other things.  As I remember, back then, we
were working on what a research administrator is, ie, duties, training,
purposes, etc.  David Meyer, who was at U. Mass. in Amherst, contacted me
when I was Assistant to Chairman at State University of New York at Buffalo.
I attended the founding meeting in Amherst and later wrote a couple of
articles for the newly formed SRA Journal.  I found membership valuable and
I would encourage research administrators to join.

Does anyone know whether David Meyer is still active in SRA and where he is
located now?

I've done various things since my last research administrative position
(Washington University): church worker, attorney, financial planner
(currently). I have also founded a non-profit corp. called Revitalization
for Professionals International which works with professionals who feel they
are burned out or heading that way.  I am experimenting with providing a
private non-incursive communication format through the Internet.  So far,
progess is encouraging, but I have yet to finalize the techniques.  Anyone
who is interested in joining the experiment can send me e-mail.

How large has SRA grown?  Is there a history of SRA lodged somewhere?  I
would like to see what has happened to the profession in the last 20 years.

Larry Wiley
368 W. Milford
Glendale, CA 91203
(818)246-9666