Re: Grant Tracker Thane Peterson 03 Aug 1995 15:25 EST

>Does anyone know what company puts out Grant Tracker?  and if it is any good
>when compared to using FileMaker Pro or FoxPro?

>chris beecher
>University of Michigan

Grant Tracker is offered by:
KCS Software
927 Mears Court
Stanford, CA  94305-1041
(415) 493-7210
xxxxxx@aol.com

Grant Tracker has some unique benefits that would probably work great at
the departmental level for tracking your grants budgets.  I have only used
the demo disk and reviewed the accompanied instructions.  If all you are
needing to do is track your grants, use Grant Tracker.  I work at the
central administrative level and need more emphasis for the generating of
reports.  Grant Tracker offers limited reporting and obviously with only
budgetary information.  Request a demo disk and review it for yourself.

Filemaker Pro is a great database system that I used at my previous
institution for:  guidelines files, faculty interests profile, and proposal
tracking.  Databases are very easy to setup.  The office where I worked was
not required to do much reporting from Filemaker database except for
interdepartmental needs.  We did grant reporting from the campus mainframe.

Where I am located right now we are looking at using FoxPro.  FoxPro offers
a great user graphical interface to the database.  Once it is setup it will
be very user friendly.  It is much more complicated than Filemaker Pro to
setup, but it will offer me the report generation and information
manipulation that I need.

If you envision database needs other than just grant/budget tracking, then
I would suggest going with either Filemaker or FoxPro.  Hope that the
information helps.

Thane

Thane J. Peterson
Associate Director, Research Office