Re: Student interns working at companies Larry W. Hawse 02 Aug 1995 14:11 EST

This doesn't convey the requested sample agreement. It's just some
observations on what we did here for many years.

At SIUC engineering students doing internships operated from a non-sponsored
program office account. Other internships were often run through ORDA
(office of research dev & admin) as student support to get tuition waivers.

In either case there was a "supervising" faculty member. I believe that
faculty member had a separate "confidentially" agreement with the commercial
firm since his use of what he saw and learned while checking up on his
student intern's progress was more "dangerous" to the company vis-a-vis
further university research than was the student intern's use before
graduation. However the student intern would be likely to take company data
to a competitor firm after graduation--thus I think the student signed a
confidentially statement independent of the university's agreement.

While it was posible the student intern could conceive of a patentable
concept, ideal, etc that the university would like to collect some royalty
income from, we considered that posibility too remote to disrupt
relationship with firms taking our students as interns. Thus for
intellectual property issues we were willing to consider the student akin to
a company employee and thus under the company's intellectual property rules.
We naturally would encourage the company to appropriately reward an intern
for his extraordinary contributions to the firm.

Student health insurance tends to be a greater headache for University legal
counsel than intellectual property rights when dealing with sponsored
internships at private organizations.