Re: Corrections to Objectivity in Research regs Charles E. Graham, Ph.D. 02 Aug 1995 14:35 EST

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995 11:53:55 -0400, Elizabeth A. Mazzella wrote:

>Ok, am I losing it or suffering from heat stroke (or both)?  The corrections
>from the July 31 federal register say to remove sections 50.604,
>50.605 and 50.606 from pages 35818-35819.  HOWEVER there are no sections
>designated 50.604 etc. on these pages.  I think what they are trying to
>say is that they accidently used the same language from 50.604, 50.605 and
>50.606 for sections 94.4, 94.5 and 94.6 and what they want us to do is
>REPLACE sections 94.4, 94.5 and 94.6 on pages 35818-35819 with the
>language provided in the 7/31/95 register.

Liz: I doubt you are losing it or have heatstroke (unless you read the PHS
regs while out in the sun - the combination could do it!).

I do not have individual page numbers in my edition, so I cannot fully
check your statement. Were you looking at the print publication? If so do
the two sets of referenced text exist and duplicate one another as they do
in the electonic edition I cited?

In my electronic edition, (InfoEd, Inc) the July 11 text at 50.604, -5,
-6 appears AGAIN at 94.4, -.5, -.6. It appeared to me that the revision
deleted the first reference and (redundantly) cited addition of the second
three, which were already there. I did not find any new language in the
July 31 revision, did you?

Actually, 50.601, 50.602 and 50.603 ALSO are duplicated at 90.94.1, 94.2
and 94.3 in my edition, although these were not mentioned in the July
revision, and so this duplication is not eliminated.

To understand why some duplications are intended (appparently), while
others are not, one might have to go back to the PHS regs that are
being changed to accommodate the new requirements. HOWEVER, I am not going
to bother to go back and see why it is structured this way.

The 50. series paragraphs modify 42 CFR part 50;

The 94. series paragraphs modify 45 CFR, being an addition as subtitle A.

Someone needs to check the print edition to make sure we have not missed
anything. There could be a discrepancy with the electronic version.

I will contact InfoEd and find out if their text is taken directly from the
GPO release - I believe it is: I will only report back if I discover this
is not so.

I hopes this clears up the mess somewhat.

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD.                  xxxxxx@UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU *
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research               504-388-8692 *
 * 117D David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University     FAX 388-6792 *
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70810                                             *