Re: RESADM-L Digest - 31 Jul 1995 to 1 Aug 1995 Sandra Mann 02 Aug 1995 07:05 EST

>Hello. I have been lurking for a bit on this list and am grateful for
>the useful information.
>
>I am in the process of developing a comprehensive software package for
>research grant administration. This package will include grant app.
>tracking, grant administration, foundation information, search by
>keywords, detailed info on our researchers.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from others as to the makeup of your
>systems. What is included? What not? Was the program off-the-shelf
>or specifically designed?
>
>           ERIC H. ZIMMERMAN
>       Research Grants Coordinator
>The Research Authority ** Bar-Ilan University
>        Ramat Gan 52900 ISRAEL
>++972-3-531-8403/4 (Tel.) ++972-3-635-3277 (Fax.)
>         xxxxxx@ashur.cc.biu.ac.il

Dear Eric,

There are several types of systems in use in various universities and
institutions throughout the country.  Some are contract and grant fund
accounting systems, other fiscal systems for tracking expenditures may be
tied to state of larger mainframe systems.  There are several institutions
with inhouse systems too.  Some companies have designed multifacited systems
designed to provide faculty profile systems, preaward and some post award
management systems into place.  In the years that I have been looking for an
all encompassing systems, it has become clear there is no one system which
is capable of performing an entire sponsored research application.  Thus,
for example, at University of Florida, we have a conglomeration of inhouse
systems, state accounting systems and externally purchased systems for
various colleges and departments.  For some generic and hopefully un-biased
information on various systems available you may want to attend the Society
of Research Administrators national conference (Chicago - October 1995) or a
National Council of University and College Administrators conference
(usually in Washington in November) or you may think about contacting these
or other professional organizations.  Hope this was some assistance.

Does the Israeli gov't keep track of the number, dollar amount and types of
US research grants funding sponsored projects in Israel?  Is your university
affilitated with any institutions in the US?  Is there a way to find out
more about the research and sponsored activities in your country?

Sandra Mann, MPA  xxxxxx@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
Assistant Director, University Research
University of Florida
219 Grinter Hall