SF424 forms Rosemary H. Ruff 02 Aug 1995 02:05 EST

Although I have already sent instructions to a list of folks who
requested these forms, more requests are coming in.  I thought it might
be easier in the long run to simply post the instructions instead of
answering each request separately.  Forgive me for taking a short cut and
simply including my original message rather than rekeying it for the
list.  Give me feedback if you use the forms.  We create all our own agency
forms on both MAC and DOS software and have been doing so for several
years.  I find that it takes very little time compared to the time it
takes to use original agency forms and the cost of producing our own is
considerably less than purchasing software.  (We do not use anything
special like graphics packages or typesetting/publishing, e.g. PageMaker,
software, just MSWord, WordPerfect, Excel and QuattroPro.  That way, our
PI's can use the forms without investing in and learning "new"
software.)  For those of you who might like to know, by changing to
creating and updating our own forms, and creating the budget forms in
spreadsheets to avoid keying errors, we have increased proposal
production about 75% and decreased from a staff of 6 to 3.  In short, by
using traditional software and "automating" the proposal preparation
process, we've "saved a bundle."  (If you really push me, I'll share the
"bombs" with you too.  There have been a few but...hey, there has to be
some margin of fun in this profession.)
Rosemary Ruff
Proposal Officer
School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK  99775-7220
VOICE:  907-474-6735
FAX:    907-474-7204
Internet:  xxxxxx@ims.alaska.edu
(fwd)
From: "Rosemary H. Ruff" <xxxxxx@ims.alaska.edu>
To: 424's <xxxxxx@ovpr.uga.edu>, xxxxxx@mhs.unc.edu,
 xxxxxx@middlebury.edu, xxxxxx@grants.wm.edu, xxxxxx@mtsu.edu
Subject: Federal Forms 424

Ok - everything is all set from this end.  First I need to remind you
that you will be connecting to a secure LAN by ftp.  You will not be able
to check directories or pathways to locate the files so it is important
that you type commands exactly as I outline them for you.  We are a Unix
based system so all commands are case sensitive and white space must be
entered as shown.

The file names are:
 424.dot, 424a.dot, and 424b.dot.

The following are the commands you will use to retrieve the files.  Do
not type the [ ]'s.  They are there to indicate text you should provide.

ftp to:   [summit.ims.alaska.edu]
at the logon prompt username:  [anonymous]
at the password prompt:  [your email address]
once your logon has been confirmed -
at the system prompt set the file transfer mode:  [binary]
at the system prompt change the directory:  [cd pubs]
at the system prompt:  get [filename] [filename]
repeat this step to retrieve all three files
once files are retrieved logoff:  [bye]

As you execute each of the commands above you will receive confirmation
that the commands have been executed.  If you get an error rather than a
confirmation, just retype the command at the system prompt.  If you have
any difficulties recovering these files, let me know by email or give me
a phone call and I'll talk you through the process.  (Alaska is 4 hours
in time difference from Eastern Time - I won't be in my office at 8:00
am EST.)  To those of you who requested these files and are old hands at
electronic file transfer, I apologize for the lengthy instructions.  Some
folks claimed purely novice status with the process.

One last thing - if you are not familiar with using MicroSoft Word
templates you may want to go through the software documentation before
trying to use them.  On all templates there is at least one page of
"creation" documentation and some advice (which I added hastily since
these forms are well known to us but not to you).  Those pages will
print, by the way, when you have completed a document using them.  I
thought it would be better to give a little more documentation to you
than I usually give to the PI's since I'm not close enough to call for
assistance.

A getting started hint:  copy the forms into your WINWORD\TEMPLATE
directory (do not remove the .dot extension on them).  To open them and
get a look at the instructions use the following commands in Word:  File/New
and make sure the option "document" is selected.  Then select OK
(enter).  Also, I took the time to include some "on-line help" in the
forms themselves.  While in document mode, click on a form field and look
for the "hint" that will appear - usually on the bottom of you screen.
Not all fields have, or need, this assistance so you will only find it in
a few places.  (You can edit the template and add help by following the
instructions in the Word Manual if you would like to do so.)

If you like these forms (rudimentary as they are since I hadn't intended
them for public use), let me know.  Also, let me know what you like and
don't like about them.  I'll incorporate changes, if possible, and share
the improvements with you too.

Good luck.  Let me know if you have problems.

Rosemary