Re: FAR clauses in subcontract from for-profit to not-for-profit Norman Meeks 01 Aug 1995 08:23 EST

This is an issue which I was concerned with - some universities would say
OVERLY CONCERNED - in my former life as an Administrative Contracting
Officer for the Office of Naval Research when I performed Contractor
Procurement System Reviews.  NO, you need not automatically flow down ALL of
the clauses included in your prime contract. Take the time to ascertain which
are REQUIRED flow down clauses and which are not required flow down
clauses.  Secondly, as in your example, the clauses applicable to the type
of organization that your are subcontracting with would be
substituted/modified for the clauses in the prime agreement.  For example,
the Allowable Cost and Payment Clause would be modified to reflect the
cost princilpes A-21 instead of A-122. Finally, if your subcontract does
not required certain types of clauses, they are not flowed down even if
they were required flow down clauses in certain circumstances.  For
example, if your subcontract is not for R&D effort, no patent clause would
be required.

Speaking of patent clauses,  the government always receives a royalty
free, paid up non exclusive license for federal purposes and the
subcontractor (inventing organization) always receives right of first
refusal to title for any subject inventions.  The prime would receive
nothing subject to negotiated positions ((See FAR 27.304-4)).  This last
point is a good example where just substituting "government" for
"contractor" and "subcontractor" for "contractor" does not always work.

Good luck as you tread this minefield!!!!

Norm Meeks
GLCC 8401 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 200
Kenosha, WI 53142

414-947-8902