Re: COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING paula burkhart 28 Jul 1995 16:29 EST

 Amen.  Paula K. Burkhart, University of Oregon

Subject: COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING
Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
<RESADM-L%xxxxxx@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU> at GATEWAY
Date:    7/28/95 12:36 PM

A couple of weeks ago a representative of a software production company
listed several of the company's products that might address a general
problem posed by one of the research administrators who subscribes to
this listserv.  The incident raises the issue of what is and what is
not appropriate "advertising" on a listserv that should, in my view,
remain "noncommercial."

I personally have no difficulty with any professional research
administrator providing personal comments concerning specific products
we need and use professionally.  I do feel, however, that this listserv
should not be used by representatives of commercial vendors to promote
their products.  To date, there have been very few incidents of this
kind.  Indeed, some may feel this is not a problem at all.  In my view,
however, commercial interests subscribed to this listserv should promote
their products by directly contacting potential clients rather than
using this listserv as a vehicle for sales promotion.

Dick Keogh

*R.N. Keogh
*Director, Office of Research and Grants Administration
*Rhode Island College
*Providence, R. I. 02908
*Tel 401-456-8228
*Fax 401-456-8287     E-mail xxxxxx@grog.ric.edu