Re: Absence of Benefits Pool Sandra Mann 12 Jul 1995 08:04 EST

>     In the absence of a benefits pool at my university, benefits over and
>above the standard rates are proportionately charged to sponsored programs.
>For example, our academic year faculty benefit rate is 26%.  If a faculty
>member is devoting 20% effort to a project (and receiving 20% salary
>recovery from the sponsor), and that faculty member has a dependent child
>attending the university, 20% of the tuition is charged to the project in
>addition to the 26%.  We have found this to be problematic in terms of
>budget projection and rebudgeting during the project period, particularly
>when the dollars are significant and prior approval is required.
>     Any advice from schools in a similar situation would be appreciated.
>Georgia Rothacker, Rochester Institute of Technology Research Corp.,
>xxxxxx@rc.rit.edu
>Office of Sponsored Programs, 125 Tech Park Dr., Rochester, NY  14623-2435
>Phone:  716-239-6005, Fax:   716-239-6019

Is tuition reimbursement for faculty, when part of a benefits package, an
allowable cost on federal assistance programs (grants/contracts)?

Sandy Mann
Sandra Mann, MPA  xxxxxx@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
Assistant Director, University Research
University of Florida