Re: Faculty Credit on Multidisciplinary Proposals Richard Moore 27 Jun 1995 13:51 EST

>We are trying to find a way to give our faculty co-PIs "credit" for
>their efforts on large multidiciplinary proposals which involve
>several departments/schools on our campus.  Our current proposal
>tracking system, which is tied into the university's mainframe accounting
>system [and thus modifiable only by an act of God ! ], gives all the
>credit to the Principal Investigator and his/her department/school.
>This tends to discourage some collaborative efforts [especially among
>young co-PIs trying to get tenure ].

We have much the same problem - only one person gets named per
account.  We do have a "multi-pi" field in our tracking database
which alerts us when proposals are multi-authored.  When a proposal
is funded a new account is opened and our system automatically prints
several memos.  Among these are a memo to our PR office which is
copied to the appropriate dean, dept. chair, center director.  When
we have the "multi-pi" flag on we know to make additional copies to
the other pi's and their dean(s), chair(s), director(s).  The down
side is not only is the extra work done by hand, the extra names are
written (or typed) manually on the forms.  Some of our co-pi's
complain that this makes them look like second class citizens, but I
find that getting their names not only before their supervisors,
but also into the publicity releases which the university puts out
far outweighs the appearance.

 Richard H. Moore
 Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research

Coastal Carolina University                E-MAIL: xxxxxx@coastal.edu
P.O. Box 1954                              VOICE: (803) 349-2050
Conway SC 29526                            FAX: (803) 349-2990