Re: Definitions Kaaren J. Downey 15 Jun 1995 08:49 EST

Gail:

I don't have definitions for a research vs. service project it's a judgement
call each time the issue arises.  I'll be interested to see what others have
come up.  If you receive a good definition which isn't posted to the group
would you be so kind as to forward it onto me?  I'd appreciate it ALOT.

Regarding the confidentiality agreements.  At Washington University we
advocate (I say advocate because we make the PI responsible for getting
their lab personnel to sign thus we loose direct control.) having anyone who
may reasonably be expected to receive confidential information to sign a
confidentiality agreement.  The Research Office is usually only directly
involved up front in getting the project going and often it's unclear that
early in the game who will have access to confidential information.  Our
office provides our principal investigator blank copies of the
confidentiality agreement and the PI is responsible for getting personnel in
their labs to sign the agreements.  So far we haven't had any problems that
I'm aware of with this procedure.

Kaaren

>Does anyone have a working defifnition for "research project" versus
>"service project" when dealing with industrial contracts/grants?
>
>On the question of formal documentation for privately-funded research
>and other projects, we at Northern Illinois University have been wrestling
>with the issue of when to allow purchase orders and when to require
>contractual agreements.  Also, when confidential information will be
>communicated, but publication and intellectual property rights are not at
>issue, we've thought of using a confidentiality agreement in conjunction
>with a purchase order.
>
>If the sponsor requires confidentiality agreements from the P.I. and
>students are involved in the project, or actually may be the only
>personnel working directly on the project ( under faculty supervision)
>who signs the confidentiality agreement?  The faculty member, the
>student, both?
>
>I'd appreciate hearing from you if you have thoughts or policies on these
>matters.
>

>Thanks - Gail Mitchell
>

>Gail Mitchell
>Research Services Coordinator/Development
>Office of Sponsored Projects
>Northern Illinois University
>DeKalb, IL 60115-2874
>Tel:  815-753-9281
>Fax:  815-753-6366 e-mail: xxxxxx@niu.edu

Kaaren J. Downey           ***NEW NUMBER***   Phone: (314) 747-0926
Assistant Director, Sponsored                 FAX:   (314) 362-5862
 Projects Services
Washington University                e-mail: xxxxxx@medicine.wustl.edu
Medical Campus Research Office
724 S. Euclid Ave.