IRIS Michele Sanchez 02 Jun 1995 09:35 EST

Esther Dominguez writes:

>We are looking at automated systems that will assist us in locating
>potential funding sources.  I am aware of two systems, SPIN and IRIS. Can
>anyone tell me of your experience with any of these systems. Thanks in
>advance.

IUP subscribed to IRIS over a year ago, and I'm happy to say that while the
original thesaurus and numerical code system were somewhat cumbersome to use,
IRIS has recently revamped their format.  They now have a much more
user-friendly format that allows you to search through indices on line and
preview and select items before downloading the results.  They have also
improved the method of receiving the results; you can receive them directly in
e-mail without needing to exit IRIS and ftp.  The other bonus is that they have
restructured their prices, and smaller institutions may save $$.  They are also
now offering demos on a new WWW format.

I'd recommend them.  If you want more information, you should contact Aaron
Treehub at (217)333-0284 or e-mail: xxxxxx@UIUC.EDU.  We received a demo before we
subscribed, so I imagine demos would be available to prospective users.

Michele Sanchez                                 xxxxxx@grove.iup.edu
113 Stright Hall
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Indiana, PA  15705-1087