Re: Transfer of Equipment - Formal Policies? Mary Spijkerman 01 Jun 1995 08:52 EST

>A colleague has asked me about transferring equipment from one school to
>another when a faculty member moves. I'm sure we have all had that experience;
>but I wondered how formalized the process is at your institution. Please let me
>know what the steps are in transferring equipment from your institution to
>another one, and what issues are involved. Thanks
>
>Raymond A. Foss
>Manager of Asset Management and Cost Analysis
>Office of Sponsored Research
>University of New Hampshire
>(603) 862-3466

Have a verified list of all equipment originally brought to your
institution.  Ascertain what equipment has been purchased during his tenure
with you and the source of funding.  Send to the transfer institution the
list of equipment that will be moving with the investigator (you should
work on this list with the investigator and a department administrator).
Obtain from the transfer institution a letter of commitment to accept all
equipment listed and verification of acceptance of responsibility for the
cost of moving the equipment.  Get a purchase order number for the moving
service.  The day that the equipment is moved, have someone from the
Department verify the items on the list and have them and the departing
investigator sign it.  Make this a part of the file on each purchasing
grant.  Maintain all files for at least three yeasr after transfer.

Mary Spijkerman
Director of Sponsored Programs
Baylor Research Institute
3812 Elm Street