Re: Indirect Funds as matching funds Mary Spijkerman 19 May 1995 08:52 EST

>Nancy, in response to your question regarding the use of indirect
>cost returned to our Office of Sponsored Research, we too are in
>the process of developing a policy for its use.
>
>A large portion of the funds currently covers the salary of our
>post award administrator.  The remainder is allocated to a
>development account which can be used at our discretion.  I am
>considering returning a percent of this fund to the PI's of the
>awarded projects as an incentive to try to increase proposal
>activity on our campus.  The remainder will be used to help seed
>new projects on campus.
>
>Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share regarding the
>return of IDC to the PI?  Is there a better way to use these
>funds to stimulate sponsored program activity?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Deborah
>
>*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
>Deborah J. Tyksinski                    phone (315) 792-7151
>Director, Sponsored Research            fax   (315) 792-7222
>SUNY Institute of Technology
>P.O. Box 3050
>Utica, New York 13504-3050
>
>Put a little SPRING into your career...with sponsored research!
When I was at the osteopathic medical school in fort worth, 50% of the
indirect was returned to the school with the remainder goint to the state.
The amount returned to the school was split between the researcher for
further research development, the Dean for discretionary use and the
research office.  We used our portion to fund a research nurse for the
clinicians, to give seed grants to new facultu and to foster professional
development.  It passed muster with the State auditors and was viewed by
all involved very positively.

Mary Spijkerman
Director of Sponsored Programs
Baylor Research Institute