Re: mobile phones Mike (Spanky) McCallister 28 Apr 1995 15:28 EST

If the mobile phone is a tool for research interactions in the
field and is the best and most cost efficient way, then it is
defensible.  There is a lot of resistance to paying regular
office/lab types of telephone costs, but in this case the name
"phone" is what's throwing you.  Yeah, you need to be careful of
personal use, but that's not new.
On my campus I have to struggle to get mobile phones OK'd simply
because they are generally not suppllied to ANY employee of lesser
rank than out Top Dogs (Pres, VP's, etc).  I have some people who
travel extensively in really remote and depressing places who
wanted phones for safety- road hazards, etc.   But if your grant
funded people are all tooling around with car phones and such and
the regular faculty gets snitty about it, then that's an equity/PR
problem.  Like many peopl REALLY need one of these things anyway.
You end up chained to them like yuppies and  their camcorders on
vacation.
Spanky