Re: Hazardous Waste Charges Naegel, Gary P. 27 Feb 1995 17:56 EST

This subject has produced (heated) debates with great  interest  from all
sides of the equation at Yale University.      The current solution is to
segregate purchase requisitions (orders) for chemicals from those without
chemicals at the initial time of the request.   We actually have two
different forms, both electronically and on paper.    Chemical requisition
forms are assessed a 5.0% fee (direct charge) on the total direct cost of
the purchase order for the expressed purpose of waste management.
 Radioactive orders (different than chemical or other purchase orders) are
assessed a 10.0% fee (direct charge) on the total direct cost of the order
for the expressed purpose of waste management (removal, etc.).   I hope this
helps.

Gary P.  Naegel
Administrator, Department of Pharmacology
Yale School of Medicine
(203) 785-4373
xxxxxx@yale.edu
 ----------
From: RESADM-L
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: Hazardous Waste Charges
Date: Monday, February 27, 1995 4:32PM

The University of Massachusetts Medical Center does not currently charge
sponsored projects directly for hazardous waste disposal and pays for this
service out of overhead money.  However, we are beginning to discuss
implementing a direct charge for this service.  I would be interested to
hear
about how other institutions are handling the charges (direct vs. indirect),
what are your rates and what are they based upon, and what are the potential
pitfalls of direct charging.   Any information that you can give me is
greatly appreciated.

Jill Mortali
Office of Sponsored Programs
UMass Medical Center