Re: another IRB question Terry A. May 23 Feb 1995 15:43 EST

>An issue recently arose at our last Human Subject Committee meeting
>regarding the practice of giving students "extra credit" for
>participating in a research study.

 This seems to me to be more of an academic issue than one of concern
to the IRB.  I believe it is common practice tp provide reasonable (judged
by the IRB) payment to subjects.  Therefore, a reasonable reward of credit
seems no different.  However, providing credit for no scholarship seems
more unreasonable.  Why not simply pay the students in a manner consistant
with other approved projects?!

Terry A. May, Ph.D.                       Voice:    602-523-6788
  Director of Research Administration     FAX:      602-523-1075
  Office of Grant & Contract Services     INTERNET: xxxxxx@nauvax.ucc.nau.edu
  100 Babbitt Admin. Ctr., Box 4130
  Northern Arizona University
  Flagstaff, AZ  86011-4130