Re: Finder's Fees Len Paplauskas 10 Feb 1995 07:16 EST

>My Hospital is revisiting the question of finder's fees for clinical
>studies. For those unfamiliar, fees are sometimes paid to medical
>professionals who encourage patients with specific diseases or characteristics
>to participate in research studies. We currently do not permit such fees as
>a potential conflict of interest. One possibility under consideration is to
>disallow fees only when the 'recruiter' is also the initial contact for
>the project (i.e., the person who explains the informed consent form). I
>would be interested in the policies of your organizations with regard to
>finder's fees. You may respond on or off the list; I will compile the
>results and post them to the list.

Fascinating topic.  I would think that an IRB would have a position on this
issue.

For the record, UCHC has no policy which addresses this topic.  We are
developing a COI policy which will require financial disclosure if annual
payments from research sponsors exceed $5K.  Presumably the financial
disclosure will bring such relationships to the attention of the COI Mgmt.
Committee, which will decide if the situation is manageable.

Len

Leonard P. Paplauskas    Assistant Vice President for Research     |
203-679-3173             University of Connecticut Health Center   |
FAX 679-2670             Farmington, CT   06030-5355               |

xxxxxx@sun.uchc.edu                                            |
xxxxxx@neuron.uchc.edu                                           |