Tobacco Research- Archive of Messages Elizabeth A. Mazzella 17 Jan 1995 10:14 EST

Well, here goes... I was able to figure out why my posting
of messages from the RESADM-L logs did not get to the list.  I think
I have solved the problem.  To follow, per Jill's request of a few
weeks ago, are the notes that are in the RESADM-L logs that deal
with Tobacco Research and policies thereon.

Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 1994 14:25:33 -0700
From:        "Terry A. May" <xxxxxx@NAUVAX.BITNET>
Subject:      Federal Register 59(44):10648-9 -- Smoke-Free Workplace

 The March 7 Federal Register announced the intention of modifying new
and competing continuation grant applications to request information on
whether or not "applicant organizations currently provide a smoke-free
workplace and/or promote the non-use of tobacco products."

 While I personally feel that all academic & health care organizations
should be smoke free, this seems to be a needless imposition on those
preparing applications for grant support.  I hope we will never need to
sign certifications concerning smoke-free environments.

Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 1994 09:45:45 EDT
Sender:       Research Administration Discussion Group
From:         Robert Bienkowski <xxxxxx@QCVAXA.BITNET>
Subject:      Do you look at where the money comes from?

Greetings,

Way back when I was a graduate student, faculties at several universities
opted not to accept funding from the Department of Defense. The stand was
taken because many researchers were morally opposed to the war in Vietnam.
Although many may disagree, I think the position was defensible.

Now my question is do any universities or college out there have policies
about not accepting research funds from certain sources. In particluar, I
am thinking about the Council for Tobacco Research.

CTR has a long history of supporting basic resaerch related to lung biology
and cancer, and it does have a "distinguished" board of directors and reviewers
.

The counterarguments can be made, however, that CTR is "front" organization
funded by an industry that profits from a product that causes cancer, and heart
and lung diseases. And in giving away a relatively small sum, CTR is buying
the researchers' credibility.

Does anyone worry about these things?

Bob Bienkowski

Robert Bienkowski, PhD
Director
Pediatric Research Center
Schneider Children's Hospital
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
New Hyde Park NY
xxxxxx@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu

Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 1994 10:15:00 EDT
From:         "Jane A. Youngers" <xxxxxx@UORMVS.BITNET>
Subject:      Do You Know Where the Money Comes From?

Bob Bienkowski's note about sources of funds, particularly the Council
for Tobacco Research, is interesting.  Here at the University of
Rochester our policy against classified research began shortly after
WW II ended and, except for some ongoing activities of the Manhatten
Project in the '50's, is strictly enforced.

We accept funds from the Council for Tobacco Research.  I think the
reality is that we all accept funds from most any sponsor
except when really pushed to the wall on an issue such as classified
research.  Frankly, it really is an academic decision.

So, we'll continue to line up at the trough......

Jane Youngers
Director, Research & Project Administration
University of Rochester
xxxxxx@mvs.cc.rochester.edu

Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 1994 10:42:27 -0400
From:         "Thomas C. Richardson" <xxxxxx@BROWN.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Do you look at where the money comes from?

>Greetings,
>
>Way back when I was a graduate student, faculties at several universities
>opted not to accept funding from the Department of Defense. The stand was
>taken because many researchers were morally opposed to the war in Vietnam.
>Although many may disagree, I think the position was defensible.
>
>Now my question is do any universities or college out there have policies
>about not accepting research funds from certain sources. In particluar, I
>am thinking about the Council for Tobacco Research.
>
>CTR has a long history of supporting basic resaerch related to lung biology
>and cancer, and it does have a "distinguished" board of directors and reviewer
.

>The counterarguments can be made, however, that CTR is "front" organization
>funded by an industry that profits from a product that causes cancer, and hear
>and lung diseases. And in giving away a relatively small sum, CTR is buying
>the researchers' credibility.
>

>Does anyone worry about these things?
>
>Bob Bienkowski
>
>Robert Bienkowski, PhD
>Director
>Pediatric Research Center
>Schneider Children's Hospital
>Long Island Jewish Medical Center
>New Hyde Park NY
>xxxxxx@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu

We do not have an institutional policy based on the political issues, but I
do discuss the possible impact with faculty interested in Defense and
tobacco money.  My concern in the past was that taking funds from Council
for Tobacco Research may have a negative impact when NIH or ACS reviewers
see it noted on Other Support pages.  However, we had a pathologist accept
CTR money three years ago and then subsequently receive an award from the
National Cancer Institute.  Similarly, our few investigators with Office of
Naval Research money have successfully obtained support from other federal
and private sources.

Over the past year I've had a number of discussions with faculty who serve
on various peer review committees.  Most have told me that in the past,
political objections might have effected their recommendations.  However,
now most reviewers recognize that with funding so scare, both new and
established investigators have to take money from wherever it's available.

In most cases, it's not an easy decision for the reviewers or the applying
faculty to ignore their political concerns, but pragmatism seems to be
winning out.

Thomas C. Richardson
Acting Director
Bio Med Research Administration
Brown University Box G-A322
Providence, Rhode Island  02912

phone number: (401) 863-1631
fax number: (401) 863-3378
e-mail address: xxxxxx@brown.edu

Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 1994 14:05:48 -0400
Subject:      Where does the Money Come From?

As the organization responsible for the management of sponsored programs
for the New York State Department of Health, HRI is always acutely
aware of the potential conflicts involved in accepting research funds
from any organization that the Department of Health regulates, etc.
Regarding the Council for Tobacco Research in particular, the NYS
Commissioner of Health just recently issued a executive memorandum
that reads as follows:

"The Department of Health has taken a strong position against the use of
tobacco products.  Among other things, the Dept. has promoted legislation
limiting smoking, curtailing the access of minors to tobacco products and
raising the taxes on the sale of tobacco products, initiated public
education efforts to discourage smoking, and funded community
activities to limit tobacco use.  The Department's position rests
on both the scientific evidence of the harmful effects of smoking and
second hand smoke and an acute awareness of the vast toll of individual
suffering and death they cause.

The Department's position against tobacco use is not compatible with
the acceptance of funds from the tobacco industry for Department research
or for any other purpose.  Therefore, Department staff shall not apply
for grants from tobacco companies, the Tobacco Institute, the
Council for Tobacco Research, or any other entity known to be
operated on behalf of the tobacco industry."

So the answer to your question about these things in general and about
the CTR in particular, from our perspective is YES, we do worry
about these things!

* Elizabeth (Liz) Mazzella             xxxxxx@ALBNYDH2.BITNET  *
* Asst. Dir. Technology Transfer & Sponsored Pgms.            *
* Health Research, Inc. (A Non-Profit Corp.) Albany NY 12209  *
* Voice: (518) 431-1200                    Fax: (518)431-1234 *

Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 1994 12:35:55 EST-11
From:         Jonathan <xxxxxx@OAK.BF.RMIT.EDU.AU>

>Robert Bienkowski <BIENKOWS%xxxxxx@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>,
>sent out a message 'Do you look at where the money comes from?'
:...:
> Now my question is do any universities or college out there have
>policies about not accepting research funds from certain sources. In
>particluar, I am thinking about the Council for Tobacco Research.
:...:

In Australia, the Anti-Cancer Council will not fund any researcher
receiving money from the Tobacco Research Corporation.

I don't think that it holds the other way around, though.

> Does anyone worry about these things?
:...:

Some researchers do, but more about health than war, I think.

As an administrator, I feel disempowered; I am serving a customer, no
matter what the request.  I'm not brave enough to say, 'No, I won't
advertise Defense Science and Technology opportunities (read DoD in
USA) and I won't administer the Co-operative Research Centre in
Aerospace Technology.'

I would support a university ban on Classified research, even though that
could silence one of our best pure mathematicians (cryptographer).
However, I cannot forsee the university implementing such a ban unless
forced.

And there is the problem of stopping, once you get started on something
like this (That 'ol PC magic, got me in its spell...).  You can't tell where
theoretical research will lead (either good or bad).

Jonathan O'Donnell
Research Development Unit
RMIT Faculty of Business
Phone +61 3 660 3459
Fax +61_3_660_3789

Date:         Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:08:30 EST
From:         Jill Mortali <Jill=Mortali%RSRCHADM%xxxxxx@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU>
Subject:      Funding from Tobacco Companies

concerning research funding from tobacco companies, I am curious about how
many other medical schools are considering ceasing to accept grants from
tobacco companies or tobacco research institutes, such as the Center for
Tobacco Research, the Smokeless Tobacco Research Council, and the Center for
Indoor Air Research.   In the letter, the AMA encourages medical schools to
stop accepting these grants because they help "the industry convince
policymakers and the public that they have legitimate research projects under
way that continue to search for links between smoking and ill health."
At UMass, we are attempting to balance the value of these grants in times of
limited sources of funding, while avoiding providing positive PR to the
tobacco industry.

Any information on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jill Mortali
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Massachusetts Medical Center

Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 1994 16:53:06 -0500
From:         "Elizabeth A. Mazzella" <xxxxxx@ALBNYDH2.BITNET>
Subject:      Tobacco Companies

Jill,

This issue was discussed back in June.  I did an LDBASE search and
found the relevant postings -- I will repost them to the list as
soon as I figure out how to do it!

* Elizabeth (Liz) Mazzella             xxxxxx@ALBNYDH2.BITNET  *
* Director, Technology Transfer & Contract Programs           *

Date:         Fri, 6 Jan 1995 17:01:12 -0500
From:         "Elizabeth A. Mazzella" <xxxxxx@ALBNYDH2.BITNET>
Subject:      Tobacco Research

A few weeks back I posted a log of messages from the RESADM-L archive
on Tobacco research?  Did anyone get that posting?

Let me know

Thanks