Re: Market Study Richard Tomlin 04 Jan 1995 13:18 EST

>Recently Tulane University has been requested to enter into a market
>feasibility study whereby all information resulting from the study is to be
>confidential.  It is not our practice to enter into research agreements that
>place a bar to publication.  However, I understand that market studies, in
>general, are not published.  What I would like to know:   1) Have any other
>Universities entered into such agreements?, and if so, 2) How was the issue
>of publication addressed?

1)  Yes

2)  By recognising that this was a purely commercial, not an academic,
project and pricing accordingly.  That way the issue of publication does not
arise.

These cases are not frequent.  I would get worried if it looked like a
department was selling out in some way.  But these kind of projects can lead
on into real research and can also yield useful insights and generic
information that turn up in disguised form in publication, so we do not
oppose them per se.

Hope this helps.

 Richard Tomlin                            Tel.: (+44)(0)191 222 6091
 Director of Research Services             Fax.: (+44)(0)191 222 5219
 University of Newcastle                   Telex: 53654 (UNINEW G)
 1 Park Terrace                            e-mail:
 Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, GB          xxxxxx@newcastle.ac.uk