Re: National Biologic Survey Randall Legeai 20 Dec 1994 10:47 EST

>        Has anyone dealt with or heard anything about the National Biologic
>Survey (NBS), an apparently new federal agency set up to "coordinate"
>non-NIH and non-NSF biologic research?
>        We have a subcontract on a Department of Interior contract and I have
>been told that NBS is now the agency controlling the purse strings.

Here's the CRS Digest of HR1845.  My understanding is that it passed the
House back in Oct. 1993, but was not voted upon by the Senate.  The bill was
sponsored by Gerry Studds (D-MA).
===========================
 Digest
 (from Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress)

       10/26/93 (Measure passed House, amended, roll call #530 (255-165) )
  National Biological Survey Act of 1993 - Establishes in the Department of
  the Interior the National Biological Survey (NBS) office to provide a
  national focus for research on, inventorying, and monitoring of U.S.
  biological resources on an ecosystem basis.
       (Sec. 3) Includes among NBS functions: (1) plant, fish, and wildlife
  research; (2) ecosystem monitoring; (3) information dissemination; (4)
  collection and analysis of resource distribution, trends, and health; and
  (5) cooperative domestic and international activities, including those
  relating to biological diversity.
       Limits NBS authority to accept real property.
       Requires NBS project peer review to include review by independent
  referees and consideration of all relevant data.
       Provides for the continued performance of local-interest research.
       (Sec. 5) Establishes a National Biological Survey Science Council.
       (Sec. 6) Prohibits NBS information gathering activities on private land
  unless the owner has consented in writing and been notified. Requires that
  any data from the property be made available at no cost. Requires NBS to
  develop related policy guidelines for its employees and agents. Exempts
  owners from civil liability for related injuries to NBS personnel.
       Prohibits NBS use of such information unless the owner is given access
  to and opportunity to dispute its accuracy.
       Requires NBS to notify specified State and county committees of
  intended entry on non-Federal property over which they maintain
  agricultural-related responsibilities.
       (Sec. 7) Defines "biological resources" to mean plants, fish,
  invertebrates, and wildlife.
       (Sec. 9) Authorizes FY 1994 and 1995 appropriations.
       (Sec. 10) Provides for compliance with the Buy American Act. Prohibits
  contracts with an entity that has made fraudulent use of "Made in America"
  labels.
       States that the NBS shall: (1) not affect State authority over fish and
  wildlife management; and (2) maintain levels of scientific research,
  including migratory bird programs.
Randall Legeai (xxxxxx@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu)
Institutional Program Development & Government/Agency Affairs
Tulane University, 327 Gibson Hall
6823 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, Louisiana  USA
(phn) 504/865-5758 ---  (fax) 504/865-5274