Re: effective Overhead rate return Anita Quinn 11 Nov 1994 08:29 EST

Forwarded message follows:
-----------------
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 11:53:01
From: aquinn (Anita Quinn)
To: xxxxxx@albnydh2
Subject: effective Overhead rate return

I work at Michigan Technological University as the Director of Research
Services and have been ask to put together some information with respect to
overhead collected.. I have seen quite a discussion on the network in the
past few months regarding indirect costs.  One figure I have not seen
discussed is the "effective rate" of indirect costs collected.  In
otherwords,  since some agencies won't pay full overhead, and since many of
us work with MTDC overhead rates, the effective rate collected on total
research expenditures is considerably lower than the actual overhead rate
negotiated.

 I have five questions, and if you have a minute to quote some rough
figures I would appreciate it.....

 1. What is your overhead rate?
 2. What is your TOTAL research dollars expenditures?
 3. What is your total overhead collected?
 4. What is your "effective rate" collected?
 5. and how much is returned to colleges and departments (one figure is
 fine)

 Also if anyone knows who was collecting some of this information in the
past few months can you please pass back that persons e-mail address to me.

Thanks much
Anita Quinn   xxxxxx@mtu.edu