Re: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Naegel, Gary P. 24 Oct 1994 11:37 EST

 ----------
From: RESADM-L
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Date: Monday, October 24, 1994 10:31AM

<RESADM-L%xxxxxx@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Sender:       Research Administration Discussion Group

<RESADM-L%xxxxxx@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>

I am curious about how your institution charges tuition to grants.
Is it budge ted as a direct cost or indirect cost?  If direct cost, s
there a separate line item for tuition separate from stipends or is it
combined under a stipend rate (monthly, for example)?

We are looking to support more graduate assistants via non-state
external funds for a number of reasons and would like to know
how other institutions are going about this.  I look forward to your

Thank you,

Steve Hoagland
Research Administrator
Old Dominion University xxxxxx@oduvm.cc.odu.edu

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
At The University of North Carolina, Greensboro we include
student stipends (both grad & undergrad) with other salary figures
upon which indirect costs are calculated.  Tuition waivers are also
included with direct costs, but usually placed in the "other"
category.

Charna Howson
Assistant Director
Office of Research Services
Univ. of North Carolina at Greensboro
xxxxxx@office.uncg.edu
(910) 334-5878

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

At Yale, we include stipends in the direct -personnel category of a grant
which does generate an indirect cost.    The tuition costs, on the
otherhand, are listed as "Other Expenses", and are excluded from our
indirect cost base.   Tuition waivers, as budget line item,   do not appear
on grant applications, as they refer to   special arrangements  between the
affected student, faculty sponsor,  graduate school, and  University unit
where the student is being supported.

Gary P. Naegel
Administrator, Department of Pharmacology
(203) 785-4373
xxxxxx@Maspo1.mas.yale.edu