Re: Graduate Assistant Tuition Waivers -- Response Scott Smith 21 Oct 1994 11:45 EST

 At the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center:  The Graduate Dean
 requires that, if support is requested for a Graduate Research Assistant,
 there is a minimum request for their time (13k).  As well, we request
 Tuition and Fees currently at a rate of at least $2,500 per year, per
 student.

 I would be interested in seeing a tabulation of the results if anyone is
 producing such an animal.  Thanks.

* Scott R. Smith                   *  Office of Research Administration *
* Sponsored Programs Administrator *  University of Oklahoma            *
* Phone:  405/271-2090             *       Health Sciences Center       *
* Fax:  405/271-8651               *  P. O. Box 26901                   *
* E-mail: xxxxxx@uokhsc.edu        *  Oklahoma City, OK  73190          *

Subject: Graduate Assistant Tuition Waivers
Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
<RESADM-L%xxxxxx@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU> at cclink
Date:    10/21/94 9:22 AM

I am curious about how your institution charges tuition to grants.  Is it budge
ted as a direct cost or indirect cost?  If direct cost, is there a separate
line item for tuition separate from stipends or is it combined under a stipend
rate (monthly, for example)?

We are looking to support more graduate assistants via non-state external funds
for a number of reasons and would like to know how other institutions are
going about this.  I look forward to your responses.

Thank you,

Steve Hoagland
Research Administrator
Old Dominion University