Re: Disclosure of "pink sheets" Len Paplauskas 12 Oct 1994 07:47 EST

Robert Bienkowski <xxxxxx@QCVAXA.BITNET> writes:

>Do any of your institutions have policies or practices about asking
>or requiring investigators to share their "pink sheets" (ie, reviews
>of grant applications) with administration?

 Yes, at UCHC we regularly ask for copies of pink sheets when
 PIs request emergency (bridge) funding.

>An objection that might be raised by an investigator is that the NIH
>reviews are privileged communications and an institutional policy requiring
>their disclosure is an invasion of privacy.

 There are plenty of precedents in daily life for demanding personal
 or priviledged information in return for $, this is just another.
 If the PI is unwilling to share the pink sheet, then there is either
 something wrong with the pink sheet, e.g, poor priority score or
 improper review, or with the administrative system in place to
 evaluate the request for emergency funding.  At UCHC, we'll look at
 the pink sheet and the PI's claims of improper review, in making
 a decision for providing the funds.

Len

Leonard P. Paplauskas    Assistant Vice President for Research     |
203-679-3173             University of Connecticut Health Center   |
FAX 679-2670             Farmington, CT   06030-5355               |

xxxxxx@sun.uchc.edu                                            |
xxxxxx@neuron.uchc.edu                                           |