Re: data ownership Len Paplauskas 16 Sep 1994 11:29 EST

Celia, THNX

>No, Len, you didn't miss anything about Chuck Chermside's concerns on this
>listserver ---  apparently it was a discussion on the COGR listserver.  I'd
>guess Ann posted to the wrong list---maybe she'd cross-post for RESADM-L,
>because it is an interesting topic.

 What are the directions for signing up to this listserv?

>The part of COGR comments I saw:  contributors were Yale, Duke, MIT, Virginia
>Commonwealth, questioning who had written policies and curious about
>institutional policy on who owns data, especially when a faculty member leaves
>an institution. No solutions offered, although Karen Hershey, Intellectual
>Property Counsel at MIT, cited 2 instances in which institutional ownership
>proved critical.

 FWIW, UCHC has a "de facto" (albeit unofficial) [if anyone wants a
 translation, send me a note privately] policy that the person(s)
 who have intellectual input into the generation of data are the
 owners.  That means PIs, students, staff, post-docs, and
 co-investigators can all be owners.  That's about the extent of the
 policy.

Len