Re: COI language Michelle D. Christy 04 Aug 1994 16:12 EST

Ann Stevens wrote:

> We are currently revising our routing form and want to include
> language about whethere there is a financial interest that may be a
> potential or real conflict of interest, or that there is none.
>
> I am grappling with how to get this on the routing form in a brief
> manner to determine if there is one or not and if there is one, has a
> disclosure been made, reviewed, etc. as per NSF's (and eventually
> PHS') requirements.

We at Rutgers are also in the process of updating our proposal
endorsement form.  We are almost finished, and for the moment,
we've settled on:

1) Revising the PI's sign-off statement to say "I agree to abide by
current University policies on conflict of interest, intellectual property,
the use of human subjects and vertebrate animals in research, and
other university research policies as appropriate.  I certify that the
required actions regarding compliance with these policies has been
taken"

and 2) Adding a yes/no check off box that asks something like: Would
the funding of this proposal present any potential conflict of interest?"

We do not have a revised COI policy yet that would comply with the
new regs, but we felt we needed to make some COI reference on the
new form since we'd like to keep it for a while.  We think the
generality of the question and statement will allow us movement
when we finally settle on some disclosure policy.

Good luck, Ann.  Its a long hard road, I know!

Michelle

michelle christy
rutgers, the state university of nj
xxxxxx@orsp.rutgers.edu