Re: Liability and IRBs Len Paplauskas 05 Jul 1994 15:05 EST

Richard H. Moore" <xxxxxx@UNIVSCVM.BITNET> wrote:

>A local MD who has been serving as the outside member of our IRB
>has just inquired as to his liability in IRB actions.  Its my
>understanding that he is covered, to the same extent as a
>state/ university employee in SC, by the State's Tort Reform Act,
>however I am interested in learning how other institutions and other
>states handle this?

In Connecticut, members of IRBs, IACUCs, etc. of the state's universities
are indemnified by the state against prosecution, the same as any state
employee acting in their capacity as such.

Leonard P. Paplauskas    Assistant Vice President for Research     |
203-679-3173             University of Connecticut Health Center   |
FAX 679-2670             Farmington, CT   06030-5355               |

xxxxxx@neuron.uchc.edu                                           |
xxxxxx@sun.uchc.edu                                            |