Re: Grants with Conference Fee and other "Revenues" Mary Nemeth 09 Jun 1994 15:51 EST

>1. Do you post revenues to the sponsored project account or do you use a
>different account to post the revenues?

We only have two projects right now that this applies to. I have set up
separate accounts for the program income involved in each case.

>2. If you post revenues to accounts other than the project account, how do you
>account for revenues and expenditures from the "revenue" account to the
>sponsor?

As far as expenditures go, any related expenses also get charged to the
separate program income account.  Our hope is that the bottom line is $0.
So far, so good.

>3. When accountability for revenues is required by the sponsor, is it the
>responsibility of the academic department or the institution's post-award
>accounting office (or both)?

Ultimately, I see the responsibility being the post-award office.  We are
the ones that have to complete the FSRs.  However, they are done with input
from the PI of the particular grant.

>4. Have you ever had problems with a sponsor relating to accountability for
>conference fee or other "revenues" that arise from sponsored projects?
>If so, please describe the problem and how it was resolved.

This is too new at our institution.  So far we have not encountered any
problems.  That doesn't mean we won't encounter them in the future.

Hope some of this helps.

Mary

Mary T. Nemeth, CRA
Manager, Grants Administration