Re: IDC RATES Len Paplauskas 02 Jun 1994 16:09 EST

Nancy Borders writes:

>Recently we received a letter from an NCI prime recipient (a
>foundation supporting multi-center clinical trials) from whom
>we are a subrecipient.  A letter from the prime states that they have
>"determined that the funds which will be subcontracted to your
>institution from the Grant and processed by the Foundation to support
>your activities will allow no more than a 20% indirect cost allocation
>to your institution."
>
>Our negotiated rate is 46%, which we apply to federally funded
>research projects.
>
>Has anyone else had this situation occur?  How was it handled?  Did
>you accept the lower rate?  How does this jive with A-21?  Can we
>accept the lower rate for federal funds?

Hmmm... NCI prime recipient, a foundation, 20% IDC rate.  Smells a lot like
Frontier Science!

Am I right?

I'd like to know of a single university which **hasn't** buckled in to
them and accepted a subcontract under those terms!

Yes, I'm reluctant to radmit that UCHC haitulated and accepted suc, though
not too enthusiastically.