Re: Nationally-Recognized Grant Development Workshops Barbara Gray 01 Jun 1994 18:53 EST

I have attended several national one-day workshops, several "local"
workshops, and an intensive three-day workshop sponsored by the
Grantsmanship Center.  Without a doubt, the Grantsmanship Center's
program was superior.  In fact, when I do workshops for local non-
profits, faculty groups, students, etc., I use the Grantsmanship Center's
format for training and their materials.  I placed a bulk order for their
publication, "Program Planning and Proposal Writing, Expanded Version"
and freely distribute them to faculty and students who are learning how
to write proposals.  This is one of the most readable "how to"
publications that I've come across in many years in this business.

 The G.C. offers both a 3-day and 5-day workshop through a local host--
either a non-profit or a college/university.  The greatest benefit is
derived by those persons who come to the workshop with a project idea.
They can have a complete proposal by the time they go home which has been
developed with assistance from a pro (the workshop facilitator) and peers.
This is real hands-on stuff.  I understand that the 5-day presents a little
more indepth information about identifying funding sources than the tree-
day, although this is touched on in the latter.  These workshops are held
around the country throughout the year.  They aren't cheap, but I think
they are definitely worth the money.

 One word of caution...These workshops would be very good for a faculty
member who is doing a people-oriented service project--i.e., literacy
training for rural adults, summer science outings for handicapped kids,
training of nurses in therapeutic massage, etc.  For the NSFers and NIHers
doing basic research, the G.C. workshops would have little value.

>I would be interested in RESADM-l members' experiences with grantsmanship
>workshops given by "nationally recognized experts" (not my terminology).
>
>I am interested in hosting an in-depth workshop, intended for faculty who
>are ready to write an application (not necessarily their first), but
>feel they need some help to be competitive. While I have not defined
>exactly what the workshop should cover, it should be more oriented
>towards practical advice than inspirational. A writing/critique component
>might be of interest, but may be problematic if it severely limits the
>number of participants.
>
>I do not know who all the players are. Who does a first-class job?
>
>Thanks for your comments!
>Charlie Graham, Director, Office of Sponsored Research
>117D David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University
>Baton Rouge, LA 50310       504-388-8692    xxxxxx@UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU

Barbara H. Gray                                  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
Director of Sponsored Programs                   Phone: (803) 953-5673
University of Charleston, SC                     FAX:   (803) 953-1434
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424-0001