Re: Do you look at where the money comes from? Thomas C. Richardson 01 Jun 1994 09:42 EST

>Greetings,
>
>Way back when I was a graduate student, faculties at several universities
>opted not to accept funding from the Department of Defense. The stand was
>taken because many researchers were morally opposed to the war in Vietnam.
>Although many may disagree, I think the position was defensible.
>
>Now my question is do any universities or college out there have policies
>about not accepting research funds from certain sources. In particluar, I
>am thinking about the Council for Tobacco Research.
>
>CTR has a long history of supporting basic resaerch related to lung biology
>and cancer, and it does have a "distinguished" board of directors and reviewers
.

>The counterarguments can be made, however, that CTR is "front" organization
>funded by an industry that profits from a product that causes cancer, and heart
>and lung diseases. And in giving away a relatively small sum, CTR is buying
>the researchers' credibility.
>

>Does anyone worry about these things?
>
>Bob Bienkowski
>
>Robert Bienkowski, PhD
>Director
>Pediatric Research Center
>Schneider Children's Hospital
>Long Island Jewish Medical Center
>New Hyde Park NY
>xxxxxx@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu

We do not have an institutional policy based on the political issues, but I
do discuss the possible impact with faculty interested in Defense and
tobacco money.  My concern in the past was that taking funds from Council
for Tobacco Research may have a negative impact when NIH or ACS reviewers
see it noted on Other Support pages.  However, we had a pathologist accept
CTR money three years ago and then subsequently receive an award from the
National Cancer Institute.  Similarly, our few investigators with Office of
Naval Research money have successfully obtained support from other federal
and private sources.

Over the past year I've had a number of discussions with faculty who serve
on various peer review committees.  Most have told me that in the past,
political objections might have effected their recommendations.  However,
now most reviewers recognize that with funding so scare, both new and
established investigators have to take money from wherever it's available.

In most cases, it's not an easy decision for the reviewers or the applying
faculty to ignore their political concerns, but pragmatism seems to be
winning out.

Thomas C. Richardson
Acting Director
Bio Med Research Administration