Re: Drug Studies Len Paplauskas 27 May 1994 07:23 EST

>About indirect cost rates on drug studies:
>
>The University of Arizona is considering changing the indirect cost rate
>from 20% TDC to 25% MTDC, which is our negotiated indirect cost rate for
>off-campus research.  But, rather than convert to total direct costs, I'd
>like to charge the account for the budgeted indirect costs at the time the
>budget is loaded to the account.  Is there anything philosophically wrong
>with this?  We load budget as payment is received from the sponsor.
>
>What indirect cost rate do you use for on-campus drug studies that are not
>clinical trials?
>
>Janet Hornung, Director
>Sponsored Projects Services
>University of Arizona
>
>xxxxxx@ccit.arizona.edu

Janet:  I don't understand your question.  What do you mean by "on-campus"
drug studies that are not clinical trials"?  At UCONN we do not differentiate
between "drug studies" and "clinical trials", in terms of applying IDC rates.
We do differentiate between sponsors, and currently all industrial sponsors
(even those supporting basic research) are charged our so-called industrial
IDC rate.

"L"

Leonard P. Paplauskas    Assistant Vice President for Research     |
203-679-3173             University of Connecticut Health Center   |
FAX 679-2670             Farmington, CT   06030-5355               |

xxxxxx@neuron.uchc.edu                                           |
xxxxxx@sun.uchc.edu                                            |