Fellowships Anne Chetwynd 26 Apr 1994 08:27 EST

Marjorie, I am asking about Predocs or graduate students - not Postdocs.
We too pay PostDocs salary (based on the NIH guidelines for PostDocs) and
they receive benefits, etc. Previously, HRI paid its PreDocs or Grad Students
a flat amount per payperiod and they received no benefits, nor
did we charge the grant for fringe. We find that some use the NIH Guidelines
and pay the PreDocs the $10.008. Whether FICA is deducted is also handled
differently from institution to institution for PreDocs...Thnx Anne
*** Forwarding note from MAILER  --ALBNYDH2 04/25/94 18:50 ***
 1120; Mon, 25 Apr 94 18:50:18 EDT
Date: 25 Apr 1994 18:48:12 EST
From: Marjorie Forster <xxxxxx@UMAB.BITNET>
To: <xxxxxx@ALBNYDH2>
Subject:  Fellowships

Ann: I just read someone else's response to you and maybe I misunderstood
your question.  I did not realize tha tyou were asking about postdocs.  At
UMAB they are treated as employees and receive the same benefits as any other
employee including fica, retirement, health insurance, vacation, sick leave
etc.  Hope this helps.
Marjorie Forster
Director, OSPA
The University of Maryland at Baltimore