Funding information Mike McCallister 08 Mar 1994 09:07 EST

I used the DIALOG system extensively for a while.  I think its best,
and possibly only, use is as a grazing device for faculty
    searching for a new sponsor, new research topic, etc.  I
    never believe anything I read from databases or printed and
    bound directories.  It's a given that any information that
    is in these types of collections is from 9 to 18 months old
    at publication, THEN we keep them on a shelf for while.
    They are useful as a beginning search tool, butfor the ral
    skinny I go to the weekly newsletters and the sponsors
    themselves.
    I am currently ticking off my researchers by refusing to
    call the sponsors for them.  My experience is that sponsors
    see us (in preaward) as clerkish intermediariesand that
    their preference is to talk with the researcher, who can
    discuss technical issues, etc.  How do you fell about that?
    Spanky