PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Domenica Pappas (25 Feb 2021 19:02 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Becky Etheridge (25 Feb 2021 21:20 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Heather Brown, M.Ed. (26 Feb 2021 09:15 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? De Leon, Niurka E (26 Feb 2021 09:38 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Tucker, Shawn (26 Feb 2021 11:17 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Bobbie Ursin (26 Feb 2021 12:49 EST)
Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Moise, Jessica (26 Feb 2021 08:46 EST)

Re: PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy? Bobbie Ursin 26 Feb 2021 12:49 EST

Domenica,

At a former university, I was involved in an NIH STTR proposal, where the PI had the same role at both the university & the business.  The university's Conflict of Interest Policy did allow the investigator to serve in this capacity, but the investigator was advised that, should an award result, the university would required that a COI management plan would need to be developed & the university's COI committee would need to monitor & assure that the COI plan was implement & followed.

For those of you who are older, I believe Jerry Fife was on temporary assignment heading our office.  Jerry is a true research administration guru.  He served as an NCURA president & was a member of the rock band "Sole Source & No Cost Extensions." He was the individual I worked with on this COI issue.

Bobbie Ursin
Semi-retired
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> on behalf of Tucker, Shawn <xxxxxx@OREGONSTATE.EDU>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 9:17:46 AM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] PI on Prime and Subaward - NIH Policy?

“Multiple organizations may not submit the same multiple PD/PI application”

To me, this reads as you can’t submit a proposal, and what would be a subaward institution can’t submit their project as a separate proposal when there’s overlap and it really is a single project.

What was being asked is for a PI with a joint appointment at two institutions to submit one proposal with a subaward, so this isn’t pertinent to the discussion.

In the end, yes, talk to the PO and GMS about why this unique situation is needed. Is capability/capacity at the second institution unique and required?
Does the prime not have enough capability that requires something elsewhere?
Does the PI have a high level post doc, doctorate researcher/lab manager who could act as PI at the second institution since the prime PI is responsible for overseeing the entire project. This could also be a way of bringing up an up and coming researcher.

The PI might also reach out to other PIs who are in their area of research and ask, if they were reviewing such a proposal, their thoughts and concerns would be.

Shawn Tucker
Research Project Coordinator
Environmental and Molecular Toxicology
1011 ALS
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
541-737-0908
xxxxxx@oregonstate.edu

On Feb 26, 2021, at 7:44 AM, De Leon, Niurka E <xxxxxx@bu.edu> wrote:

Multiple organizations may not submit the same multiple PD/PI application

or click the following link:
http://lists.healthresearch.org/scripts/wa-HLTHRES.exe?SUBED1=RESADM-L&A=1